According to dermatologists, the first way to prevent acne is to keep your face clean and have a healthy lifestyle-starting with drinking more water.
However, some of us are really acne prone.
We at Skin Correct, collated and researched some of the best treatments for acne. We explore pros and cons of these treatments.
1) Antibiotics (usually paired with Benzoyl Peroxide) such as Erythromycin, Clindamycin or Tetracycline have excellent effect, however- antibiotics cannot be used everyday and can be quite expensive.
2) Acids (Alpha Hydroxy and Beta Hydroxy Acids)- These are good exfoliants, and can help clear the dirt that is trapped in our pores.
3) Oral Retinoids- can clear and shut down oil production, hence totally avoiding acne. However, Retinoids cannot be used by pregnant women and can have long term effects if taken during pregnancy.
4) Natural remedies such as tea tree oil and chamomile- alone is hit and miss. Mostly dependent on how your skin reacts. Natural extracts are usually used as a booster for more traditional treatments.
5) Azelaic Glycine or Azelaic Acid is a weaker acid that can work similar to an anti-biotic, and can be used everyday.
It is good for mild to moderate acne and oiliness; but might have a hard time against severe cases.
At the end of the day, a combination of everything is probably better. It is up to us to find the most efficient solutions for our acne problems.
Again, start with the basics of cleansing and toning- it should make all the difference.
The Skin Correct Team.